• teaches Biblical Hebrew at the University of Pennsylvania
• is the weekday Torah reader at Historic Congregation Kesher Israel in Center City Philadelphia.
• a bachelor’s degree from New College (Sarasota, Fla.),
• bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Jewish studies from Spertus College in Chicago, and
• a Ph.D. in Bible and the ancient Near East from Brandeis University.
He is the author of
• Theologies of the Mind in Biblical Israel (Peter Lang), a description of the Israelite understanding of psychology as revealed in the Bible
• The Bible’s Many Voices (Jewish Publication Society/University of Nebraska Press), a layman’s guide to the Bible as its human authors intended it.
— Read an excerpt
— Ask a question about the book
• The Commentators’ Bible (JPS/U. of Nebraska Press), an English-language equivalent of the traditional Hebrew commentaries that have been used for centuries.
– Exodus (2005)
– Leviticus (2009)
– Numbers (2011)
– Deuteronomy (2015)
– Genesis (expected in 2018)
(Follow his progress on Twitter @mcarasik.)
You can listen to Michael’s weekly "Torah Talk" podcast at http://mcarasik.wordpress.com/category/podcast/, or subscribe to it through the iTunes Store. You’ll find his “Bible Guy” blog at http://mcarasik.wordpress.com.