Becoming an Adult in East Asia: Comparative and Interdisciplinary Approaches Conference
Organizer: Hyunjoon Park (and Korean Family in Comparative Perspective)
Dates: February 28 - March 1, 2014
Location: Klein Conference Room (University of Pennsylvania, 3718 Locust Walk (1st Floor), Philadelphia, PA 19104)
Registration is required, please contact Hyunjoon Park (firstname.lastname@example.org) to register.
February 28 (Friday), 2014
8:00-8:45 Continental Breakfast (provided by the Population Studies Center)
8:45-9:00 Welcoming remark
9:00-10:20 School and Work in Japan (Moderator: Emily Hannum)
- Hiroshi Ishida "How Do Schools Assist Students in Finding Jobs? The Role of Schools in the Transition from School to Work in Japan"
- Emma Cook "School-to-Work Transitions and the Changing Meanings of Adulthood for Male Freeters in Contemporary Japan"
10:20-10:35 Coffee break
10:35-11:55 School to Work in Korea (Moderator: Emma Cook)
- Kyung-Ah Shin "Finding a Job in an Unstable Labor Market: The Experiences of Young People in the Korean Financial Crisis"
- Hyejeong Jo "Becoming the Working Class in Mass Higher Education Society: Hidden Injury of Working-Class Young Adults in South Korea"
11:55-12:20 Overall Discussion
2:00-3:20 School and Work in China (Moderator: Hyunjoon Park)
- Jean Yeung & Qianhan Lin "The Urban-Rural Divergence of School-Work Paths of China's Youth"
- Emily Hannum & Jennifer Adams "Early Educational Context and Pro-Mobility Outcomes in Young Adulthood in China's Poor Rural Communities"
3:20-3:35 Coffee break
3:35-4:55 Social Mobility and Transition to Adulthood (Moderator: Hiroshi Ishida)
- Yi-lin Chiang "Education in a Global Context: Using Social Capital to Compensate the Lack of Cultural Capital"
- Nancy Abelmann, Chunwoong Park, Hyunjoon Park "Contrasting Effects of English Speaking Proficiency on Social Class Mobility: A Comparative Study on the Social Mobility Regimes of Japan and Korea"
4:55-5:20 Overall Discussion
March 1 (Saturday), 2014
8:30-9:00 Continental Breakfast (provided by the Population Studies Center)
9:00-10:20 Love, Independence, and Home (Moderator: Lynne Nakano)
- Richard Ronald "The Challenge of Achieving Independent Living for Young Adults in Japan"
- Hye Gyong Park "Love and Money in The Lives of Young Women in Contemporary South Korea and Japan"
10:20-10:35 Coffee Break
10:35-12:35 Courtship and Marriage (Moderator: Seung-Kyung Kim)
2:00-3:20 Life Course Events and Transition to Adulthood (Moderator: Jungwon Kim)
- Hee Jung Choi "Compulsory Military Service of Study Abroad Men for Adulthood in South Korea"
- Qianhan Lin "A Youth with No Regrets? – How China’s Sent-Down Generation Reviews Their Rustication Experience"
3:20-4:00 Overall Discussion
4:00-5:00 Discussion of Publication Plan